Network & Linux Systems Engineer
Are you the type of person who will script something rather than do it twice? Do you accidentally type “conf t” into a Linux terminal? Can you play nice with both humans and machines? If so, keep reading.
EX Networks (EXN) are a specialist, privately owned ISP/MSP based in Greenwich, London. We are looking for someone awesome at both networks and systems, someone who can bridge the gap and be that one stop shop for our customers. Our office is based in Greenwich, London but we will consider remote working opportunities.
That’s all good, but what I play with?
- A top notch network based in Cisco ASR 9000s, Nexus Switches, and every Catalyst switch known to man.
- A brand new VMware platform based on Dell M630 blades, Equallogic Storage (all 10G/40G of course).
- Lots of CWDM/DWDM fun coming soon.
- Immaculately tidy racks in world-class data centres.
- A cat. We have an office cat. Called Cisco.
Make me an offer I can’t refuse.
Ok, but first, are you any good at:
- Providing support to end users and business partners of data and hosting services.
- Working as part of the team supporting core network infrastructure and internal systems.
- Understanding business goals, and designing systems and solutions to meet them.
- Continually reviewing, updating and composing detailed design architectural documentation.
- Building resilience, security and scalability into a growing infrastructure.
- Proactive research into technologies, hardware and software that would be relevant to the business and our clients.
- Evaluating and interpreting core monitoring platforms; examining trends in statistics to mitigate failures and plan for expansion.
Can you be more specific?
- Comprehensive knowledge of popular routing and switching protocols; VLANS, STP/RSTP, ISIS, OSPF and BGP, MPLS, VPLS and L2/L3 VPNs, IPSEC.
- Experience with IPv6.
- Experience with Cisco IOS (IOS-XR, NX-OS, JunOS is desirable but not required).
- Vendor certifications like CCNA/CCNP desirable or equivalent experience.
- Experience with VMware vCenter, vCloud Director, ESX.
- Experience with Linux (CentOS), Apache, MySQL, Exim. Cassandra and Riak would be beneficial.
How else can I impress?
For extra awesome points:
- Hands on data centre experience, racking and cabling like your life depends on it.
- Experience with WHMCS, cPanel/WHM, CloudLinux, KernelCare and OnApp.
- Some experience with Windows Server, MSSQL, and Active Directory.
- Experience with AWS, Azure and vCloud Air
- Experience with ITILv3, ISO9001, ISO27001.
- Full UK drivers licence.
- Willing to help write website content and present at industry events.
- Scripting experience; Bash, Perl, Python, PHP, Ruby etc.
Anyone who works in our industry knows this, but here goes…
- Candidates should possess the ability to get started and work independently when necessary, and to come up with ideas and carry them out.
- Willingness to travel and work out of hours.
- Diligent use of processes and documentation.
- Can multi-task in a fast-paced and agile working environment.
All kidding aside, we are a great bunch of people to work with. Benefits include flexible working hours, a relaxed office environment, training, the ability to earn industry certifications, participation in the Internet community and the possibility of some remote working.
If this job isn’t right for you, please pass it onto someone who might be a good fit.
CVs to email@example.com